Illinois Motorcycle insurance coverage

Request a Quote

Motorcycle insurance coverage

Motorcycle Insurance

If you want to ride a motorcycle in Illinois, you must have a motorcycle classification on your driver's license. Anyone over the age of 18 must pass an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Education Course. They also must pass a written and driving exam. After you pass the test and get your motorcycle license, you will need to purchase a motorcycle insurance policy before you can legally drive.

State Required Minimum

Illinois is a fault state, which means that whoever causes an accident is responsible for compensating anyone who was harmed during the accident as well as cover any property damage.

To legally ride a motorcycle, you must carry the minimum coverage, which includes:

  • $20,000 for one person injured
  • $40,000 for everyone who was injured
  • $15,000 for property damage

The state minimum also comes with uninsured motorist coverage. This will cover you if an uninsured driver causes an accident. It would also cover if you are the victim of a hit and run.

Full Coverage

If you want to be covered if you cause an accident, you can take out a full coverage policy. This would cover any damage that you cause to your motorcycle. If you are still making payments on your bike, the lender will require you to have full coverage until your bike is paid off. You should consider full coverage if you have an expensive bike.

What Is the Penalty for Riding Without Insurance?

If you are pulled over without insurance, the penalties are pretty severe. If your bike is registered, you would need to pay a $500 fine. If your registration is suspended for having no insurance, you would be forced to pay a $1,000 fine. Your driver's license and registration can also be suspended for three months. To get your license and registration back, you would need to pay a $100 reinstatement fee.

If you buy a motorcycle, the first thing you should do is contact Balanoff Enterprise LLC to purchase a motorcycle insurance policy. Our agents can help you find a policy that will give you the level of protection that you need. To get your policy started, give us a call or stop by the office today.

Start Carrier

See more

  • Chubb
  • MetLife
  • National General
  • Nationwide
  • Progresseive
  • Safeco
  • Travelers